The top eight stories you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.
1. Frantastic: Here’s what we know about Starbucks’ new Unicorn Frappuccino: it looks like a unicorn threw up in a cup, it’s a crème drink made with mango syrup and sour blue drizzle, it has more sugar than three Snickers bars and it’s making everyone on Instagram lose their minds. So, is it worth ordering one for the ‘gram? We try the drink for ourselves on this week’s edition of “The 8.”
2. Franlebrity: Last year, Moe’s Southwest Grill literally gave Chipotle a run for its money when it unseated Chipotle as the Brand of the Year in the fast-casual Mexican restaurant category. That’s why the brand’s president, Bruce Schroder, is this week’s Franlebrity and 1851’s latest cover star. Schroder says that Moe’s is able to rise to the top by putting people first, which starts with building a sense of family and a culture that franchisees, employees and customers all want to be a part of.
3. Frash Money: Winning a gold award is something that (Frash) money can’t buy. Alair was recently recognized by the Canadian Franchise Association—the brand was awarded the Gold Award at the annual CFA Awards of Excellence in Franchising. That’s the highest accolade that a franchise brand can receive in Canada, signaling that Alair is positioned to build on its strong momentum going forward.
4. Frant of the Week: No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills tells us the story of former NFL quarterback Erik Kramer in this week’s Frant. After battling severe depression, he attempted suicide. But he made a full recovery after trying to take his own life, and he was filled with newfound optimism that anything is possible. That raises the question for the rest of us: why wait for that kind of moment? Why not make sure that anything is truly possible, all of the time? We shouldn’t wait another day to live our lives the way we want.
5. Franch Forward: On the heels of a record breaking 2016, Miracle Method is franching forward this year. After adding 10 new territories and seeing its system-wide revenue reach the $61 million mark, the professional bathroom and kitchen refinishing franchise is capitalizing on its upward momentum. The brand is targeting key development markets like Nevada, Florida, California, Nebraska, Texas and Illinois for development in 2017, with plans to sign 25 franchise agreements before the end of the year.
6. Fran Funny: What’s a social media marketer’s favorite kind of cracker? Insta-Grahams.
7. Franspiration: “You can’t say one thing and act another way because people will pick up on that right away. You have to have the right convictions and you have to work hard to involve people to create the best strategies that will result in success for the company.” – John McAuliffe, CEO of Sylvan Learning
8. Franemies vs. Frands: Franchising conferences are your Frand! At least, we hope they are. That’s why we’re currently gearing up for the 2017 Multi-Unit Franchising Conference that’s set to kick off in Las Vegas on April 23. If you’re attending the industry’s premier event for multi-unit franchisees, be on the lookout for some familiar faces from “The 8” and 1851. We hope to see you there!