A month after an outbreak of Cyclospora was first linked to an Illinois processor, the number of affected customers continues to climb.
Last month, an outbreak of Cylclospora, a parasite that causes intestinal illness when ingested, was linked to salads served at McDonald’s restaurant in Illinois and Iowa. The outbreak, which may have been affecting customers since May, was initially linked to approximately 90 illnesses. On Friday, Nation’s Restaurant News reported that the number of cases confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has grown to 507, with illnesses reported in 15 states.
The outbreak has been traced to a Streamwood, Illinois Fresh Express, a food processing facility that provides salad mix to McDonald’s restaurants in the Midwest. McDonald’s reportedly told the FDA that it had stopped using the affected salad mix on July 13.
At least 24 people have been hospitalized as a result of the outbreak. No deaths have been reported.
Read the full article at nrn.com.