The 8 | April 14, 2017
The 8 | April 14, 2017

The top eight stories you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.

1. Frantastic: It’s been one hell of a week for the internet. Between Pepsi pulling its latest ad after facing backlash to United Airlines dragging a passenger off of one of its planes, there’s been no shortage of PR nightmares for major companies. Naturally, meme makers and Tweeters got to work highlighting these blunders. And we have to admit, their reactions are pretty funny. Check out this week’s edition of “The 8” to see a few of our favorites.

2. Franlebrity: For Jeff Sinelli, the passion and entrepreneurial spirit behind Which Wich has always been about the vibe. In fact, it’s why he prefers the title “Chief Vibe Officer” over CEO. And it’s also why he’s this week’s Franlebrity. Never satisfied with the status quo, Sinelli is constantly thinking three steps ahead to fuel Which Wich’s development efforts. And with more than 400 locations around the world, it’s clear that both consumers and business owners are catching on.

3. Frash Money: There are 10 million Americans across the country who are lucky enough to have a pool in their backyard. And now that we’re moving into the spring and summer months, demand for pool maintenance services is steadily climbing. That’s why Pool Scouts is off to a strong start so far this year—the brand recently opened a location in Austin, Texas and is planning to move into Sarasota, Florida and Lakeland, New Jersey in the coming weeks.

4. Frant of the Week: When No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills learned that according to the American Marketing Association, 84 percent of B-to-B deals comes from referrals, he had a wake-up call. Being in the business of lead generation, a lot of our efforts are focused on going after the other 16 percent. But in order to tap into that majority, it’s up to us to shift more of our focus to the influencers, referrals and the fans.

5. Franch Forward: Maid Right is making moves. The residential cleaning franchise is looking to bring on a new Master Franchisee to spearhead growth in Tampa, Florida. And because a handful of Master Franchisees have already experienced success in the Sunshine State, Maid Right is confident that the city will be a hotbed for growth.

6. Fran Funny: There’s a new series of memes calling out how unrealistic real estate shows can be. It seems like every couple looking for a new home goes into the process saying, “I’m a part-time kindergarten teacher. My wife hangs potatoes in garages. We’re looking for a downtown penthouse loft. Budget is $5 million.”

Want to actually find out how much house you can afford? Head to 1851 Franchise’s sister publication, ESTATENVY. #shamelessplug

7. Franspiration: “Everyone who starts a business has a responsibility to give back to those who follow them. Always, no matter what, give your people a reason to believe in you. That’s something I strive for every single day.” – Sport Clips Founder and CEO Gordon Logan, who has helped the brand grow to 1,500 plus locations while building a brand culture that people want to be a part of.

8. Franemies vs. Frands: We believe in going big or going home. That’s why we’re naming one of our Franemies this week—every airline ever. It turns out that United isn’t the only airline that can kick you off of a flight. In fact, airlines can make you give up your seat if you’re overweight, smell bad, aren’t properly dressed or are in a seat that was also promised to somebody else. Major airlines bumped 359,376 people in the first nine months of 2016 alone. But only less than eight percent of those were involuntary. 

ADVERTISEMENT