The top eight stories you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.
1. Frantastic: If you’re looking for a franchise brand to invest in, we have some Frantastic news. Franchise Business Review has released its list of the 200 best franchises to buy in 2019. This annual ranking was compiled after surveying more than 30,000 franchisees from 310 franchise brands. To see what brands made the cut, head to 1851 or FBR.
2. Franlebrity: This week’s Franlebrity may not have a name, but it doesn’t make them any less worthy of the title. We’re highlighting the manager of a Waffle House location who decided to make things nicer for an influx of guests on Valentine’s Day by putting out white tablecloths, candles and special menu items. After that one Valentine’s Day in 2008, Waffle House locations across the country now offer those same features for guests.
3. Frash Money: When IHOP made the brief switch to IHOb, a lot of people shaded the marketing stunt. However, it looks like IHOP is getting the last laugh — when the brand changed its name, it sold a lot more burgers. According to the brand’s CMO, IHOP’s burger sales increased four times as a result of the campaign, with 500,000 burgers being sold per week at its peak.
4. Frant of the Week: How many of you reading this right now woke up on Monday morning genuinely excited to start the week? Odds are, there was a sense of dread — or longing for the weekend — that started your week. But in his latest Frant for 1851 Franchise, No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills explains that there is a way to love what you do and go into Mondays with the same attitude you have on Saturdays. Check out the full column to learn more.
5. Franch Forward: Revive Kombucha is moving forward with a new type of advertising. The sparkling beverage brand is planning to run an ad in San Francisco-area copies of Rolling Stone that’s printed on LSD blotter paper — without the LSD. This will make for an edible magazine insert, giving readers a taste of the product before they buy it.
6. Fran Funny: Valentine’s Day may have come and gone, but that doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate the brands who figured out creative ways to get involved. Dunkin’, for example, helped couples get married last weekend by holding weddings in a Las Vegas chapel. You can check out the full story here.
7. Franspiration: “Not only are the people you hire to work with and for you essential to success, but the people you associate with outside of your business are just as important.” - Supporting Strategies franchisee Dawn Hershik.
8. Franemies vs. Frands: McDonald’s is officially adding Donut Sticks to its breakfast menu. The limited time offer, which will be available beginning February 20, allows the brand to take its breakfast menu to the next level while also competing with companies like Dunkin’. There’s no word on whether or not there’s a chance Donut Sticks will become a permanent menu item.