The top eight stories you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.
1. Frantastic: Dunkin’ is poking fun at foodservice brands that make their own apparel lines. In a new, satirical video, the brand introduces its fictional clothing line called Espresso-Wear, which contains “cappu-chinos,” “Americano-veralls” and “latte-nk tops.” Even though this particular clothing line is fake, there are a number of brands that offer their own merch, including Taco Bell, Auntie Anne’s and KFC.
2. Franlebrity: We have a different kind of Franlebrity this week — we’re highlighting McDonald’s and its franchisees. The fast food giant has pushed its deadline back for restaurant remodels from 2020 to 2022. The news comes after McDonald’s received pushback from its franchisees who say that the pace for expanding is too quick. However, McDonald’s is going to reward those franchisees who are able to complete their remodel by the first deadline by covering 55 percent of the cost instead of 40.
3. Frash Money: TripAdvisor has announced that it’s integrating with DoorDash. This means that 24,000 restaurant listings on TripAdvisor will now have their first online ordering link, ultimately impacting over 1,800 cities across North America. DoorDash’s CEO says that this integration is designed to help people discover the best local businesses while traveling.
4. Frant of the Week: The workplace in 2008 doesn’t look the same as the workplace today. A lot has changed over the past decade, which is what No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills discusses in his latest Frant. What was once referred to as “work-life” balance is shifting to “life-work” balance, and the mindset behind what defines hustling is changing. In order to thrive in this new type of environment, businesses need to be able to adapt.
5. Franch Forward: 1851’s annual list issue continues this week with a look at some of the brands that are Franching Forward in the beauty and wellness industries. From salons and blow dry bars to spas and more, we rounded up some of the top franchise brands in the segment with 50-plus locations. You can check out the full list on 1851.
6. Fran Funny: What do you call an elf who sings? A wrapper.
7. Franspiration: “I think so often people go out, try things and it doesn’t work and it sets them back. Or they quit, or they think they’re not able to accomplish their goals because they failed. I have always been the opposite of that. I really, truly do like to try things, and when they fail, I get energy from it and it makes me want to go out and do more and try more.” — Carrie Luxem, CEO of Restaurant HR Group.
8. Franemies vs. Frands: Hardee’s wants you to swipe right on its Tinder profile. The brand is going to be appearing on the app as “Chris P. Hardee’s” through December 8th. Tinder users who swipe right and are Frands of the brand will receive a coupon for a BOGO five-piece chicken tender small combo.