The top eight stories you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.
1. Frantastic: Instagram has some Frantastic news for brands. After going through a testing period in June, the photo sharing platform has announced the global launch of its in-app shopping features. The new program will work through product tags in both Instagram stories and a shopping channel in the app’s Explore feature.
2. Franlebrity: This week’s Franlebrity is the Director of Global Franchise Development for a rapidly growing, health-conscious brand — Freshii. 1851 spoke with Michael Pandich to learn more about the unique approach that Freshii takes to expand. He said, “We actually spend a lot of time here at Freshii trying to talk people out of getting into this business. I know that may seem odd, but not only is franchising not right for everyone, but restaurant ownership is definitely not for everyone.”
3. Frash Money: A federal appeals court has cleared the way for servers to sue restaurants for not paying full minimum wage for both pre- and post-shift work when there isn’t a chance for them to earn Frash Money through tipping. The decision overturned a previous ruling stating that restaurants weren’t required under federal law to pay employees a different wage for pre-shift work.
4. Frant of the Week: In his latest Frant for 1851 Franchise, No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills argues that while you can change people, you can’t at the same time. What does that mean, exactly? While you can give some people all the tools that they need to win, they might just be in the wrong seat at the wrong company. By hiring — and firing — through your company’s core values, you can ensure that you’re building the right team.
5. Franch Forward: Papa John’s is Franching Forward following the controversy it found itself surrounded by earlier this year. The pizza brand recently unveiled a new creative campaign featuring its franchisees and employees, ultimately shifting the focus away from its founder, John Schnatter. The goal is to highlight the other people behind the brand as well as boost sales across the Papa John’s system.
6. Fran Funny: How do you get Pikachu on the bus? You Pokémon.
7. Franspiration: “Great franchisees follow the book. They know the value of the system they bought into, and they follow it.” - Stephen Schultz, Director of Business Development for Supporting Strategies.
8. Franemies vs. Frands: Denny’s is proving to be a Frand to consumers across the Carolinas. The brand is dispatching its mobile diner to the region in an effort to provide free meals to those affected by Hurricane Florence. Denny’s is working with local officials and disaster relief organizations to make its efforts possible.