The top eight stories that you probably didn’t need to know in franchising this week.
1. Frantastic: Millennials have made mobile ordering a necessary part of any brand’s DNA. But is voice activation the next big ordering trend? A recent study found that nearly one quarter of 16-to-24-year-olds are using voice search on mobile devices. And that number is expected to grow to 50 percent by 2020. That’s why brands like Wingstop, KFC and Domino’s are already testing out voice activation in ordering—they want to be ahead of the curve if and when this trend becomes more popular.
2. Franlebrity: This week’s Franlebrity brings three decades of franchising experience to the table. Gene Savage, Director of Franchise Development and Real Estate for Johnny Rockets, first started out in the industry right out of college, and has been growing alongside it ever since. Savage credits that success to the same things that make for successful franchisees—drive and determination.
3. Frash Money: There are a lot of factors that play a role in determining a franchisee’s bottom line. And even though it’s not glamorous, managing the day-to-day operations of a business—from handling payroll to invoicing—is something that can’t be overlooked. That’s why Enjoy Your Party, an emerging food service staffing concept, is prepared to work with its franchisees on those small but significant tasks. By offering thorough training on how to stay on top of the business’ operations, Enjoy Your Party is positioning its franchisees to bring in Frash Money.
4. Frant of the Week: It’s not uncommon for perceptions to become realities. But when it comes to correcting those false perceptions, data plays a key role. In his latest Frant, No Limit Agency CEO Nick Powills explains that data has the potential to remove problems and promote progress. Even if there’s a perception that something in business can’t be done, data has the ability to disprove that belief and open the door to new possibilities.
5. Franch Forward: When it comes to growth opportunities within the franchising industry, few brands can match what emerging concepts bring to the table. Between having top-tier markets open for development and being in tune with the latest and greatest technology, there are a few distinct advantages that come with joining an emerging system. To check out those top 10 advantages, check out 1851.
6. Fran Funny: What kind of marketing does Dracula do? A-COUNT based marketing!
7. Franspiration: “Not many franchisees grew up saying, “one day, I want to own a pretzel store,” but most of them always wanted to own a business, and because of franchising, they can do that in all sorts of ways they may never have anticipated. It really opens up a world of possibility to people.” – Tom Monaghan, Chief Development Officer at Philly Pretzel Factory
8. Franemies vs. Frands: Did you know that, by volume, printer ink costs twice as much as Chanel N°5? That high price tag means that major brands like McDonald’s are spending through the roof to print their logo on cups, containers and bags. That’s why Ecobranding is our Frand this week. The new concept, which was created by a Paris-based creative director, promises to reduce the amount of ink used when printing brands’ logos to create more eco-friendly designs. If it works—and if brands sign on—this could be just as good for companies as it is for the environment.